Pages

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Just Peachy

Last week we went to Wal-Mart because Sister Miller wanted to get her nails done. What we thought would be a half hour stop, turned into two hours! But I wasn't going to waste that precious time. I took advantage of the trapped people around me at the nail salon and I talked to them about the gospel! There was one girl who asked us a lot about what it was like to be a missionary. She is dating a member of the church but he is not active. She asked us some really good questions, like why do we go to church? We had the chance to explain the sacrament, the power of the priesthood, how the gospel had been restored on the earth, and that we have a living prophet on the earth today. I gave her a pamphlet about the gospel of Jesus Christ with the missionary's phone number in her area written on the back. It is so incredible to feel comfortable talking to random strangers about the gospel, to help increase their understanding, and help them to feel the spirit. I just love being a missionary!

My new companion is Sister Nelson, and she's from Portland Oregon! We have been swimming in the most delicious peaches! Every time we go to someone's house and they offer us peaches, we never turn them down! It's a main staple of our diet. One family made us homemade peach ice cream and gave us the rest to take home! The next day we warmed some up and cut fresh peaches and sprinkled cinnamon on top.... such a treat!!!! We are so spoiled. 

the beautiful Ogden Temple!
The Ogden Temple open house finally finished last Saturday! I can't believe it is over. I has been such a huge part of our lives! And I think we all got used to running around like crazy people and not getting enough sleep. But the blessings in store are beginning to pour from the windows of Heaven! We were able to go to the open house with the girl we met last week and her mom, who is  a less active member. We were waiting for half an hour at the temple, and were just about to give up, when we saw them walking towards us! It was a miracle! The whole time we were in the temple, her mom was oohing and ahhing and had the biggest smile on her face. Her daughter asked a lot of questions and we were able to explain more. It was so beautiful to be with them to experience the peace and beauty of the temple. In the introductory video before the tour, Elder Holland says, "I couldn't speak of Heaven in the traditional, lovely, paradisaical beauty that we speak of Heaven... I couldn't speak of Heaven without my wife, or my children. It wouldn't be Heaven for me". I have a testimony of the power of the priesthood, to bind families together for eternity. I know that my family is united because of the eternal perspective that we have of our relationships. I know that my family would not be as strong or as happy if we had not been sealed in the temple for time and all eternity. And I am forever grateful for that blessing. 

We are already seeing the fruits of our labors at the temple. Last week a member contacted us and told us that she took her friend to the open house. While they were there, her friend said that she felt her deceased son and father with her in the celestial room. She normally goes to Episcopalian church. Some days she feels good, but other days she doesn't feel like it resonates with her. She has been depressed the past year, and when she went to the temple, she felt like a piece of her that was missing had been brought back. We met with her yesterday, and shared the message of the restoration of the gospel. The spirit filled the room as I shared Joseph Smith's first vision of Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. Every time I share that experience, my testimony of this gospel is strengthened. I can not deny the power of the spirit! We invited her to be baptized at the end of this month, and she said that she wants to, and knows that is where she knows she should be, but she will need help to get there. Lucky for her, that is our job! We are so privileged to help people learn and grow their testimony. 

I love being a missionary. I truly love sharing my testimony with others. Sometimes we never see progress, or we don't see results. But each and every time I am able to testify, I am strengthened by the Spirit of God. Thanks to my mission, I will never be the same. 

I love you all, and I hope you're smiling! 

xoxo

Sister Boman

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?