Pages

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

I Can Do Hard Things

Well this last week had been a blur. One of the sisters went home for a family emergency, and so we combined areas with her companion. We are now a trio, covering two stakes, 12 wards! It is interesting, to say the least. 

In each area, missionaries do things their own way. Of course we all have things that we are supposed to do the same, the same goals, the same vision, the same work, but how you go about that can differ from companionship to companionship. What are you supposed to do with all of your engagements that are planned at the same time? And all of the sacrament meetings? And all of the people you are supposed to know? Well, there is no handbook for combining areas, but there is someone who knows exactly how to make things work, and that is my Father in Heaven. We pray all the time. We need to! There is no way to move forward without His help. And that has been an incredible experience. We also focus on what is good, what is better, and what is best. In everything we do, we have to prioritize and be in tune with the Spirit. I am so grateful for this experience, to be able to adapt and stretch myself and rely on the Lord. 

With three sisters comes three powerful testimonies, and our lessons have been great. We taught the couple that met in the dump, he is less active and she is getting baptized next month. She is so excited and ready to learn. Every time we meet with her she has grown in her faith and testimony. And they have been coming to church! As they move forward and recognize the power that the Lord has in their life, they see how much He has helped them. He is the one who made it possible that they met each other. He is the one who helped them save their house. He is the one who is helping them grow together. As we exercise our faith, the Lord blesses us! He wants us to show Him that we trust Him! He helps us through anything.

We are teaching another man who has not been to church since he was 10. He had lost his job and was feeling a lot of anger. Finally he decided that he needed to go back to church. So he walked across the street one Sunday (only in Utah) and went back. He knows so little about the gospel, but he learned how to pray, and how to ask Heavenly Father for help. He said that he prayed to recognize the Lord's influence in his life, and when he did, he felt peace. His anger went away, and he has been filled with optimism. He is now able to see all of the things that he has been blessed with. And he has faith the he will be able to handle the future, through his Savior Jesus Christ. 

Something that helps me know that I can do hard things, especially on the mission, is the knowledge that I am serving my Heavenly Father. This is His work, and He will make it happen. No matter my struggles, my shortcomings, or my insignificance. If I am doing all that I can, He will step in and make up where I lack.

I love you all and hope you're smiling, remember the wise words of Audrey Hepburn:

“Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!”

xoxo

Sister Boman

This picture proves that you can't always do hard things. This plate of "Frontera Fries" defeated me :(

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?