Pages

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Succor His People

photo credits to Sister Campbell!

Last week I complained a bit about working at the temple. It is hard work, but then I heard the awesome experiences that other sisters are having while working, and I thought why can't I have those same experiences? So I've shifted my mindset. With each group of people that we speak to, I ask, "Raise your hand if this is your first time going inside a temple!" (Thanks to Hermana Tolman for this idea!) Usually it is a bunch of little kids who raise their hands, but then a few adults timidly raise their hands as well. That is my favorite part. To see the look of curiosity on their face, and to know that the Lord has prepared them to be here at this moment. We let them know how excited we are that they are here, and assure that this is going to be a special day. Then we press play, and the introductory video starts. It begins with different shots of temples all over the world. All of the little ones are oohing and ahhing and exclaiming "IT'S A TEMPLE MOMMY, LOOK!" What a delight to see that these children recognize the House of the Lord, that they are mindful of how special and sacred it is. Then we spend the next ten minutes making faces at all of the cute babies, because at this point, we have the video memorized.

Sometimes we think that life is so hard and that nothing is going our way. But we must stop and think- how is my attitude effecting my outlook? I know that my service at the temple has become more of a blessing as I recognize that power I have in helping others to feel the spirit. My wonderful Nana sent me a quote a few weeks ago from President Gordon B. Hinckley.

"Tremendous happiness and peace of mind are the results of loving service to others.  Nobody can live fully and happily who lives only unto himself or herself"

I know that this is true. We taught a less active couple this past week, and they have been dealing with so much. But we were able to help them recognize that Heavenly Father gives us trials to help us to realize our potential. He also gives us hard times to open an opportunity for us to rely on Him. We cannot do it alone. He knows that, and so He sent His son Jesus Christ.

"And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities." Alma 7:12

We can not live this life on our own, and we can not live it solely for ourselves. I have been blessed with this opportunity to serve the people in Utah, and the sacrifices that I am making now, are helping me to find, like President Hinckley said, "tremendous happiness and peace of mind".

I love you all and I hope you are smiling!

xoxo

Sister Boman
 
This is my house... a big red barn converted into a loft! That is Sugar the horse in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?