Pages

Monday, March 16, 2015

Words of Wisdom

hiking on pday!
We met some pretty cool people this week. We met two women, one is 100 and the other is 103 years old! Needless to say, they are incredible women. Both are members of the church, and one had met every prophet since Heber J. Grant! We asked her what wisdom she had for us, after her years of experience, and she said this: "Be obedient to the principles of the gospel". I don't know why, but I was surprised at her answer. It showed her testimony and the perspective that she had gained throughout her years on this earth. I thought of what my response would have been if I was her age. Would I have learned the same lesson?


I gave a talk this Sunday on how we can find joy in keeping the commandments. Our perspective can change when we realize the purpose of the commandments. Our Heavenly Father loves us and wants us to be happy, so He gives us commandments so that we can. If we truly understood that our Heavenly Father loves and cares for us and knows what is best for us, then we would not only be willing, but anxious to keep His commandments. We would know and understand that obedience brings blessings. President Uchtdorf said:
 

"Part of our challenge is, I think, that we imagine that God has all of His blessings locked in a huge cloud up in heaven, refusing to give them to us unless we comply with some strict, paternalistic requirements He has set up. But the commandments aren’t like that at all. In reality, Heavenly Father is constantly raining blessings upon us. It is our fear, doubt, and sin that, like an umbrella, block these blessings from reaching us."


By keeping the commandments, I have found peace and happiness, and also protection from the adversary. It is when I have strayed off the path that I have been more susceptible to his snares. I am so grateful that Heavenly Father cares about us so much to give us so many ways to be happy and safe in this life.


I know that it can be difficult, but we will never feel of the peace and true joy that comes from obedience until we try it! And the 104 year old sister said it's the most important thing that she learned, so I think i'm going to take her advice :)

I love you all, and I hope you're smiling!


xoxo


Sister Boman

1 comment:

What do you think?